MLS, School of Library and Information Science, Emporia State University, 2009.
BME, College of Arts & Sciences, Oklahoma State University, 1999.
- Head of Acquisitions & Resource Sharing, January 2015 – Present
- Interim Head of Acquisitions, July 2014 – December 2014
- Assistant Acquisitions Librarian for Transition Planning, Acquisitions, 2013 – 2014
- Electronic Resources Librarian, Acquisitions, 2010 – 2014
- Assistant Librarian, 2010 – 2014
- Head of Serial Orders, Acquisitions, 2008 – 2014
Department Head, Acquisitions & Resource Sharing, University of Kansas Libraries
January 2015 – Present
Provides leadership and overall management for the Acquisitions & Resource Sharing Department consisting of 21 FTE university support staff, unclassified professionals, and faculty, including monitor and ensure efficiency and effectiveness of workflow and developing and managing policies and procedures for the acquisition and sharing of library materials in all formats. Lead organization of projects to analyze workflows across Resource Sharing and Acquisitions and transition to a blended department by the Spring of 2015. Engages in service to the Libraries, the University and to professional organizations by participating in committee work, projects, and other contributory achievements. Reports to the Assistant Dean of Content and Access Services.
Publications or Creative Works
- Goergen-Doll, K., Leon, L., & Rathmel, A. (in progress). Chapter 2, Library Collection Building – Acquisitions & Collection Development. In B. Posner, Library Information and Resource Sharing: Transforming Services and Collections. ABC-CLIO.
- Rathmel, A., Mobley, L., Pennington, B., & Chandler, A. (2015). Tools, Techniques, and Training: Results of E-resources Troubleshooting Survey. Journal of Electronic Resources Librarianship, 27(2). http://hdl.handle.net/1808/18074 doi:10.1080/1941126X.2015.1029398 (Refereed)
- Rathmel, A. & Claassen, M.A. (2012). Book collecting contests in the digital age: Relevance and impact of new media. International Journal of the Book, 9(4), 17-30. http://hdl.handle.net/1808/10510. (Rathmel contribution: project designer, major contributor to research method, analysis, and writing). (Peer-reviewed).
- Rathmel, A. (2011). ‘Jack be nimble…quick’, and communicative: Flexible staffing positions for changing technical services workflows. Brick and Click Libraries Symposium Proceedings, November 4, 2011, 94-101. http://hdl.handle.net/1808/8545.
- Rathmel, A., Emde, J., & Montgomery, K. (2016, April 3). Is “E” for Everybody? Reorganizing to Fit E-Resources across Blended Departments. Electronic Resources & Libraries, Austin, TX. (National)
- Rathmel, A. (2015, September 30). Communicating effectively with e-resources stakeholders from IT specialists to technophobic patrons. E-Resources Bootcamp: Becoming an Expert at E-Resources in Your Library – Preconference at the joint conference of the Kansas and Missouri Library Associations, Kansas City, MO. (Regional, Invited)
- Currie, L., & Rathmel, A. (2014, May 1). Big Deals and Squeaky Wheels: Taking Stock of your Stats. Presentation, Preconference, 2014 North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG) Annual Conference, Dallas, TX. (National, Invited)
- Mobley, L., & Rathmel, A. (2014, March 19). The lasso and the firehose: Tools of the e-resource troubleshooting trade (Results of a Survey). Presentation, 2014 Electronic Resources & Libraries (ER&L) Conference, Austin, TX.
- Rathmel, A. (2013). Callisto: Partner in the panacea of just-in-case/just-in-time e-resources access management. Lightening Talk, presented at the Electronic Resources & Libraries Conference (ER&L), March 17-20, 2013, Austin, TX.
- Rathmel, A. & Claassen, M.A. (2011). Book collecting contests in the digital age: Relevance and impact of new media. Presented at the 9th International Conference on the Book, October 14-16, 2011, University of St. Michael’s College at the University of Toronto, Canada. http://hdl.handle.net/1808/10511. (Rathmel contribution: project designer, major contributor to research method, analysis, and writing, presentation design and creation). (Peer-reviewed).
- Rathmel, A. (2011). ‘Jack be nimble…quick’, and communicative: Flexible staffing positions for changing technical services workflows. Presented at Brick and Click Libraries: an Academic Library Symposium, November 4, 2011, Northwest Missouri State University. http://hdl.handle.net/1808/8545. (Peer-reviewed).
- Rathmel, A., & Wade, S. (2011, February 17). Ubuntu: a philosophy for organizational and staff development. Poster, Staff Leadership Summit, University of Kansas. (Local)
Grants and/or other Funded Projects
- W. Wilson Library Staff Development Grant ($3500) Enhancing Service and Engagement through Understanding Staff Strengths: Individuals, Teams, and the Organization. American Library Association. 2011. Co-investigator with Lars Leon (PI), and Mike Broadwell, Kim Glover, Kathleen Ames-Oliver, and John Wade (Key Personnel). (Rathmel contribution: co-wrote and edited proposal draft, co-equally designed funded projects, will be co-equally designing post assessment and analyzing data). (Refereed/Competitive).
- Legislative Advocacy Travel Grant ($250). Association of College and Research Libraries. 2010.
Professional Service to the University
University of Kansas
- Faculty Senate. 2015-2018. (member)
University of Kansas Libraries
- Libraries Strategic Planning Implementation – Goal 3D.1 Project Team, 2012-2014.
Developed a comprehensive training program for best practices in group-based decision making, project management, meeting facilitation, assessment and reporting.
- Libraries Strategic Planning Implementation – Goal 2A.3 Project Team, 2012-2013.
Developed and implemented inter‐institutional plans for shared access to, and delivery of, print and digital collections.
- Libraries Assessment Council, 2011-2013.
- Libraries Organizational & Staff Development Council (LOSDC), 2010-2013. (chair).
- Libraries ILS Review Taskforce, Oct 2013 – Nov 2013. (member).
Evaluated and created a report overviewing current integrated library system (ILS) in development or in full release including lists of features, maturity status, peer institutions, and potential migration paths for KU Libraries.
- Libraries Metrics & Measures Taskforce, June 2013-Nov 2013. (member).
Evaluated and recommended a statistical repository and assessment management solution for the libraries, including developing detailed use cases.
- Libraries User Services Training Session, Sep 2013 (presenter).
Developed libguide and training presentation for e-resources troubleshooting to assist library staff on resolving and referring questions about e-resources. (September 2013)
- Libraries Strategic Planning Working Group – Goal 3, January 2012-March 2012. (co-chair).
- Libraries Distance Education Task Force, 2011-2012.
- Libraries Committee on Research & Scholarly Activity, 2010-2012.
Professional Service outside the University
- International Journal of the Book, Common Ground Publishing, volume 9:3-4, 2012. (associate editor)
- Technology Committee, Association of Collection and Technical Services (ALCTS) – Acquisitions Section, 2016-2018. (member).
- Serials Spoken Here column, Serials Review. ISSN: 1879-095x (reporter/author). (Refereed).
Brangiel, J., Finnerty, E., Konkiel, S. R., Rathmel, A., Rudd, P., Slutskaya, S., Smith, J., Tovstiadi, E., et al. (2015). Association of College & Research Libraries conference. Reports of Conferences, Institutes, and Seminars. In K. Blythe (Series Ed.), Serials Review (Serials Spoken Here, Vol. 41, No. 3). Taylor & Francis. doi:10.1080/00987913.2015.1069237
Beals, N., Blythe, K., Kardos, M.A., Moore, K., & Rathmel, A. (2009). North American Serials Interest Group conference: Riding the rapids through a mountain of change. Reports of Conferences, Institutes, and Seminars. In K. Blythe (Series Ed.), Serials Review (Serials Spoken Here, Vol. 35, No. 4). Taylor & Francis. doi:10.1016/j.serrev.2009.08.011
- NASIGNewsletter, North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG), 2010-2014. (copy editor).
- Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), 2010-2012. (legislative advocate).
Monitored political action on relevant library issues, contacted local representatives during key voting times, travelled to Washington D.C. to visit Kansas representatives and discuss issues relevant to libraries.
- And They Were There column, Against the Grain. (reporter/author).
Rathmel, A. (2011, December). “The Long Arm of the Law, presented by Ann Okerson, William Hannay, and Lauren K. Schoenthaler.” In Ramune K. Kuilius (column editor) And they were there. 30th annual Charleston conference – Issues in book and serials acquisition: Anything goes!, Against the Grain, 23(6), 73.
Rathmel, A. (2011, September). “Ask an Aggregator, presented by Kevin Sayar, Kari Paulson, Tim Collins, and Rich Rosy.” In Ramune K. Kuilius (column editor) And they were there. 30th annual Charleston conference – Issues in book and serials acquisition: Anything goes!, Against the Grain, 23(4), 72.
Rathmel, A. (2011, June). “Teaching electronic resource management, presented by Sheri Ross” In Ramune K. Kuilius (column editor) And they were there. 30th annual Charleston conference – Issues in book and serials acquisition: Anything goes!, Against the Grain, 23(3), 73.
Rathmel, A. (2011, February). “The next big idea, presented by Robb M. Waltner and Michael Arthur” In Ramune K. Kuilius (column editor) And they were there. 30th annual Charleston conference – Issues in book and serials acquisition: Anything goes!, Against the Grain, 23(1), 64,76.
Rathmel, A. (2011, February). “Innovative practices in electronic resources and acquisitions management, presented by Ryan Weir, Geoffrey P. Timms, Kelly A. Smith, Regina Koury, and Denise Pan” In Ramune K. Kuilius (column editor) And they were there. 30th annual Charleston conference – Issues in book and serials acquisition: Anything goes!, Against the Grain, 23(1), 61-62.
- School Library and Information Management (SLIM), Emporia State University, 2012. (co-presenter).
Emde, J. & Rathmel, A. (2012). The many hats of electronic resources librarianship. Presented to Emporia State University SLIM Graduate Students for Day on the Job at the University of Kansas Libraries, May 3, 2012, University of Kansas. (Rathmel contribution: co-equally contributed to content, design, and delivery).
- Library Leadership and Management Association (LLAMA), 2014-present
- Association for Libraries Collections & Technical Services (ALCTS), 2011-present.
- Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL), 2007-present.
- American Library Association (ALA), 2006-present.
- North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG), 2009-2015.